Scalding Green Vanilla
Steaming Vanilla after scalding
Natural drying in the open air under the trade winds of the Indian Ocean and under the tropical sun
The ripening in six stages will allow us to transform the green pods into Vanilla LAVANY refined according to four categories:
GOURMET black, brown or TK, red and cut.
These Vanillas are also marketed under the name Bourbon Vanilla from Madagascar.
- scalding within 48 hours of harvesting, the green spice is immersed once in hot water at a controlled temperature for a few moments. This operation stops the plant life of the pod.
- steaming after draining, the pods wrapped in blankets called " gony" are placed in a wood oven. For about 48 hours, the Vanilla cooled to room temperature. The pod begins to take on its characteristic chocolate brown color.
- drying in the open air - the spreading pods dry naturally in the sun and in the trade winds of the Indian Ocean. To avoid any fermentation, they are regularly and frequently ventilated by hand. The pods take on an increasingly brown color as they dissect, sometimes covering themselves with a shiny frost.
A large skilled workforce is necessary to properly carry out this long operation, because drying is spread over several weeks and is totally dependent on sunlight. At night, the Vanilla is stored away from humidity.
During this completely traditional, non-mechanized process, the harvest is reduced by 75%, and as we practice it the natural dehydration of Vanilla LAVANY is the essential and most delicate step in the whole pod processing. This is the one and only guarantee of its olfactory, aromatic and taste qualities as well as its ability to keep for several years .
- made to measure - we are able to prepare the Vanilla according to the particular requirements of Professionals: humidity, length, concentration.
Our ancestral Vanilla know-how guarantees the constant quality of our pods throughout the year. We master the four trades of the Vanilla sector: Planter, Refiner, Exporter and Distributor.
- putting in a wooden trunk - the pods are stored for several months in baking paper. As the fragrance appears late, it becomes more refined during this period. The trunks continue to lose water. They are checked weekly, and moldy pods are removed.
- sizing - soft to the point, the aroma perfectly developed, the pods of Vanilla LAVANY are sorted, measured, calibrated according to their quality. They are tied in the middle in bunches of the same length with a single strand of rafia.
- packaging - after a final quality control, the boots thus perfectly formed are traditionally wrapped in parchment paper, stored in cardboard boxes, for storage and transport.
- Analyzes - for each harvest, before placing on the market, we control various parameters by analyzes at approved laboratories: determination of the level of Vanillin and control of microbiology.
The complete cycle of production of the Vanilla LAVANY from manual pollination of the flower to shipment by air is a minimum of fifteen months.
Wooden trunks for storing Vanillas
Measurement of Vanilla pods
Calibration of refined Vanillas
LAVANY Vanilla made to measure
Boxes of 25 kg of Vanilla Lavany ready to be exported
Air Madagascar the Vanilles transporter LAVANY
"The Malagasy Vanilla must fully contribute to the economic development of Madagascar.
The Malagasy government, associated with professionals in the Vanilla sector, decides on the authorized start date of export of the last harvest in order to guarantee the quality of the preparation of Malagasy Vanilla.
New, for three years now, to ensure and strengthen the sustainability of the Vanilla sector in Madagascar, the minimum price for export Vanilles de Madagascar is imposed by the Malagasy Government.
In 2022 the price is 254 USD per kilogram at the start.
We can therefore not decently find on the European market of Vanilla stamped from Madagascar at an equal or lower price taking into account the cost of international transport and the trade margin of the importer which must be added to this purchase price.
Vanillas presented for sale in Europe at a lower or equal price, they inevitably left Malagasy territory illegally ...
Vanilla LAVANY only markets Vanilla Planifolia Andrews from our plantations in Madagascar.
We do not sell any other Vanilla Planifolia Andrews cultivated in other parts of the world ...
That's why we guarantee the traceability of Vanilles LAVANY Bourbon à the unique provenance of Madagascar.
From planter to consumer without intermediary "
- export - the ready Vanillas are exported according to Malagasy regulations in cardboard standardized by plane and stored in our premises in Saint-Juéry - France.
- distribution - before each delivery, the Vanilla LAVANY pods are checked one by one and they are packaged according to Customers' needs, vacuum packed in transparent food grade bags per 250 grams or in blister packs per 2 or 10 pods in airtight glass tube for retail sale.
All the facilities managed by the RANJA Family in Madagascar and by Vanille LAVANY in France are certified for three years AB - Organic Agriculture by